Friday, November 18, 2005

Piano, will of God, squirrels and quotes

I went to piano shopping with LH. CY came along. It is amazing how some people can hear the exact tune. CY can tell the slightest flat from any key. I really thing these skills are a gift. Then there are other gifts such as gift with words or thinking. I truly believe that not using the gifts we were given is a true waste. However because different people have different gifts we need to be careful with the thinking that certain things is so easy for us and why is it so hard for others. I remember talking music with another friend and he mentioned how annoyed he was when he heard a flat in church. I heard that quite often but not being a musician myself I cannot empathize with that kind of irritation. However, I think church music is a slightly different form of music. It is music with a purpose or a message. If we put the media before the message we are in danger of losing some valuable messages. Of course the famous or infamous Mcluhan coined the phrase or concept: “the medium is the message. So the logic goes: if the medium is not perfect then the message is not perfect either. Right? I am not sure. I think the danger is graver for the medium to overtake the message than the medium to muddle by the message. I am feeding the squirrels wondering around our backyard. I put walnuts and chestnuts on the latch of our patio. They came and took it every time. No children to feed so feed the squirrels. Ha. Ha. I was talking to some people about the will of God. It is disturbing how we use circumstances so much to determine the will of God. The is so much abuse in using the so call “open door” situation to justify our actions. Recently, I came upon a book I want to read. It was too expensive to buy new at Chapters (>$20). So I went hunting in a discount book store and lo and behold I found a copy for less than half the price. So the conclusion is that it must be the will of God for me to buy it and read it. Right? Mind you that is not exactly a very evangelical book I was interested in. So if only “open door” circumstances is the criteria we use then considering the following scenario: If I lived next to an adult video store and it opens Friday night and there is a big sale sign outside. So I should go get a DVD because the door is wide open? There are standards that goes before the circumstances is what I am saying. However, when it comes to relationship (which is where most of the abuse exists), things are a lot more complex but still I believe the “open door” scenario just does not hold water at all. A couple of good quotes: “Experience is a tough teacher because you were given the test before the lesson.” “Experience is an effective teacher because by giving the test before the lesson you do not forget easily.” “Creativity is to allow yourself to make mistakes. Art is to know which mistake to keep.”

2 Comments:

Blogger Con said...

1) that off key singing at church...it's probably me...i can't sing to save my life =P
2) if you really want to feed someone, you're welcome to feed me

11/24/2005 12:27:00 a.m.  
Blogger Simon said...

Ok, that a promise...
But you have to eat whatever I feed u, trust me it will not nasty...

11/25/2005 04:02:00 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home